The cathedral was built in the style of the late baroque from 1773 to 1779. The original plan was designed by Franz Kaufmann from Pest. Dimensions of the cathedral are 61m depth, 26m width, height of the balcony is 18m, and bell tower is 64m high. The cathedral is very proud of the altar paintings.
All paintings are the works of painter from Pest, Joseph Schoefft, except for the images of the sacred family painted by the Munich painter Kaspar Schleibner and the Holy Cross, the work of Emanuel Walch from Innsbruck. They painted the vaults of the cathedral as well. Since 1973, the cathedral has been incorporated into the Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments.
A cathedral, among the people known as the Great Cathedral, is dedicated to the patron of Subotica, St. Theresa of Avila, whose character is on the coat of arms. In 1974, the Pope awarded the church with the title of smaller basilica.